Drunk driving accidents can change the victim’s entire life in the blink of an eye—whether on Interstates 68 or 79, leaving Mountaineer Field, or the lively area between Don Knotts Boulevard and Spruce Street. Drunk drivers frequently have poor control over their vehicles due to inhibited vision, poor reaction times, and difficulty making coherent decisions. Unfortunately, this often means that drunk driving often results in severe injuries, including injuries like traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord damage, that can impact the victim for the rest of his or her life.
Did you suffer injuries in a Morgantown drunk driving accident?
Do you want to learn more about your legal rights, including the potential for a Morgantown drunk driving accident claim?
Contact our Morgantown Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers at Wagoner Desai today for a free consultation. Let us help you.
The Lifelong Impact of Drunk Driving Accidents
When a driver’s blood alcohol concentration (BAC) exceeds the legal limit, his or her ability to control the vehicle deteriorates substantially.
As a result, drunk drivers can cause severe injuries, many of which may have lifelong consequences for the victim:
- Traumatic brain injuries can cause difficulty with focus and concentration as well as trouble with emotional regulation.
- Spinal cord injuries can leave the victim partially or fully paralyzed below the site of the injury.
- Amputations lead to the victim losing a limb in the accident or as a result of tissue damage after the accident.
- Broken bones include multiple or severe breaks, which can require surgery.
- Burns may result if the car bursts into flame.
Victims of drunk driving accidents may struggle to complete work tasks, or may even lack the ability to return to work for a long time after the accident. Victims may require aid in self-care, including bathing or getting around. Some victims permanently lose the ability to do some things that had once brought them joy. Not only that, victims often have high medical expenses that can cause substantial financial problems after the accident.
Seeking Compensation After a Morgantown Drunk Driving Accident
If you suffered serious injuries in a drunk driving accident in Morgantown, our drunk driving accident attorneys can help you seek compensation for your injuries. An attorney can give you a better idea of how much compensation you should pursue, depending on who caused your accident and what other factors contribute to it. Wagoner Desai can help you learn more about your legal rights.
Seeking the Liable Party: Who Caused Your Morgantown Drunk Driving Accident?
A drunk driver who caused an accident could bear the primary responsibility for the accident and any injuries that occur as a result. Typically, this means you would need to deal with the drunk driver’s insurance company as you pursue compensation for your injuries. However, sometimes other factors may contribute to an accident. For example, a bar or restaurant that served liquor to an obviously intoxicated patron could face liability if that person causes an accident.
The attorney who assists in your Morgantown drunk driving accident claim may also look into the employer of a drunk driver who was on the clock at the time of the accident. Did the employer know the driver had consumed alcohol, but require him to drive anyway? Did the employer of a driver—especially a commercial driver—encourage that driver to break the law (driving too fast, for example, or exceeding the federal limit for the number of hours a driver can spend behind the wheel)?
Identifying all parties who share liability for an accident could go a long way toward increasing the compensation you may receive from your injuries. You could file a Morgantown drunk driving accident claim against each party that contributed to your accident, meaning you might ultimately receive significantly more compensation than you would have if the drunk driver alone bore sole liability for the accident.
How Much Compensation Could You Expect After a Morgantown Drunk Driving Accident?
Many drunk driving accident victims need a solid estimate of how much compensation they could expect from the accident. You have substantial medical bills to deal with, not to mention the loss of income that often goes along with the inability to work after a drunk driving accident. How much compensation can you count on? Will it offer enough to help you rebuild your life after a serious accident?
The compensation you receive for a drunk driving accident usually depends on several key factors.
- Who caused your accident? A private driver may carry only minimum liability auto insurance. That insurance policy could set the limits of what you can receive in compensation for an accident, including a drunk driving accident. If multiple parties contributed to your accident, it can increase the compensation you ultimately receive for your injuries. For example, if a tire blowout caused by a manufacturer’s defect caused the car to spin out of control and the drunk driver struggled to control it, that manufacturer may be added to your claim.
- How high did your medical bills grow? Medical bills can create severe financial hardship; especially for severe injuries. While a Morgantown drunk driving accident claim will not force the insurance company to pay your medical bills directly, a personal injury claim could provide vitally needed compensation that would help you pay those medical bills. Medical bills typically form a foundation of a drunk driving accident claim.
- How much work did you miss? Lost wages pose a serious problem after your accident. You could include those lost wages as part of your Morgantown drunk driving accident claim.
- How did the accident affect other areas of your life? By identifying the other ways in which your accident affected your life, you might want to include them in your Morgantown drunk driving accident claim under pain and suffering.
Do You Need an Attorney After a Drunk Driving Accident in Morgantown?
If you need a car accident attorney in Morgantown, contact Wagoner Desai today. We will provide you with a free consultation that can offer a better idea of the compensation you may deserve for your injuries. Contact Wagoner Desai today for more information on how we can help you. We know that drunk driving accidents in Morgantown take place around the clock, so we answer the phone 24/7. Call us at (304) 470-2056 or send us a message using our online contact page.
“Was recently represented by Eddie Wagoner. I can’t express enough how easy he made the process with his experience and guidance for what I thought originally, would be a complicated experience. Was very informative from start to finish and throughout the entire process, I always felt he had my best interest in mind. Very satisfied with both his representation and the outcome.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!